Juneau Food Tours feeds your belly AND your mind! The tour includes a historical walk, as well as true Alaskan food! Enjoy succulent seafood, famous candies and cookies, and locally brewed beer. Nine tastings total, three you get to take home in your gift bag. Join us on the Tour with Taste and eat your way through Alaska’s capital city.
Why a food tour?
A food or culinary tour is a perfect way to immerse yourself into the culture of a city. Juneau is home to some of the finest seafood and eateries in Southeast Alaska and our guides, locals who live here year-round, are eager to share these establishments with you. They will colorfully detail some of Juneau’s history and culture as you stroll along the beautiful streets of downtown Juneau. Our guides will also make recommendations for great restaurants and things to do while you are visiting Juneau. Foodies don’t dismay, there will be lots of delectable Alaskan fare. Be prepared for great food and enjoyable conversation in a warm and personal setting.
What to expect
Once you purchase your ticket, you will be told where to meet your guide. A brief introduction is given, then the fun begins! Each tour combines walking to tasting locations, eating delicious local foods, and learning about the lively history and culture that makes Juneau so special. Each participant will be provided a reusable shopping bag as well as bottled water.
Experience history, art and culture
In addition to fantastic food, Juneau Food Tours includes fun facts about Alaska’s capital city. For example, you will “meet” Patsy Ann, Juneau’s official canine greeter. At the “Before I Die” blackboard, you will have the opportunity to share what’s on your bucket list. Landmarks include the new Walter Soboleff Center, which features beautiful Alaska Native artwork, and the Alaska Commercial Fishermen’s Memorial, which is dedicated to the men and women who have given their lives to the Alaska commercial fishing industry.
What you’ll taste
Each tasting location was especially chosen by Kelly “Midgi” Moore, owner of Juneau Food Tours. Midgi is a food blogger and food writer in Juneau. She takes great pride in sharing the fantastic tastes of Juneau. Here’s a sample:
- Tracy’s King Crab Shack - King crab bisque and a crab cake
- Alaska Knifeworks – Salmon dip, bull kelp marmalade
- V’s Cellar Door – Halibut fusion nachos
- Panhandle Provisions – House made charcuterie
- SALT – Alaskan cod taco with wine pairing
- Alaskan Hotel & Bar – Locally brewed beer
- JCP – Confections Gourmet marshmallow treat
- Wings Airway’s/Taku Glacier Lodge – Famous gingersnap cookies
- Chef Stef’s – Delicious toffee
Who would enjoy a food tour of Juneau?
Anyone who loves great food, a relaxed atmosphere, and a bit of history and culture spun with a colorful tale or two. The walk is just over a mile and includes a small incline.
- When: Daily, May 1 – October 1
- Time: Times vary, please see calendar
- Cost: $129 plus 5% city sales tax
- What’s Included: All tastings, a guided walking tour, reusable shopping bag, bottled water
- Who: Anyone age 12 and up. Moderate fitness levels are recommended
- Capacity: Up to 12 guests per tour
- Wear: Light rain jacket recommended and comfortable walking shoes
- Weather: Rain or shine, we will dine!
- Where: Tour meets at the Alaska Commercial Fishermen’s Memorial (location provided upon ticket purchase)
- Dietary restrictions: We will do our best to accommodate dietary needs.
- Distance covered: Approximately 1.2 miles